The Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS) is a free service from the U.S. Department of the Treasury. Since it began in 1996, millions of businesses, individuals, federal agencies, tax professionals, and payroll services have used EFTPS.
All federal taxes can be paid using EFTPS. You can make payments via this Web site, a voice response system, or special channels designed for tax professionals, payroll services, and financial institutions.
Quick, secure, and accurate, EFTPS is available by phone or online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can schedule a business payment up to 120 days in advance or an individual payment up to 365 days in advance.
Here's how it works:
STEP 1: Enroll online.
To get started, you will need the following:
a. Taxpayer Identification Number (your Employer Identification Number if you're enrolling as a business or your Social Security Number if you're enrolling as an individual).
b. Banking account number and routing number.
c. Address and name as they appear on your IRS tax documents.
Then, simply follow these instructions:
1. Select "Enrollment."
2. Select "Business," or "Individual," or "Federal Agency."
3. Enter the requested information.
In seven business days, you will receive your PIN in the mail.
STEP 2: Get your password.
After you receive your PIN, call 1.800.982.3526 to get a temporary Internet password.
STEP 3: Make your payment.
1. Go to www.eftps.gov and select "Make a Payment."
2. Log in with your EIN/SSN, PIN, and Internet password.
Note: The first time you make a payment you will be prompted to change the temporary password you received.
3. Enter the payment information in the step-by-step screens.
4. When you're finished, save a copy of the Payment Confirmation page. This contains your EFT Acknowledgment Number that acts as a receipt for your payment instruction.